Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Finally... 10.28.14

3 of 3: Happiest Days of My LIFE!

{The Adoption}

Ever since I became a mother, I couldn't help but wonder "Will I ever find someone to love me for me & love my child as their own?" I was living in St. George and I honestly was ready to leave, just Jaxson & myself. I was going to go somewhere that we could start fresh and not have so many judgmental people. I was tired of being looked down on because I was a single mother. It was like I was poison and that nobody wanted to even consider dating me. I felt like I was damaged. Don't get me wrong, being a mother was my greatest accomplishment. I was so happy & so blessed. I knew that I was supposed to be a mother & that Jaxson was sent to me for a reason. 

I'm not a confident or cocky person at all, but I know that I was doing just fine on my own (with a little help from my parents). I was working, going to school & being a mom. I was doing my very best and to be honest, I was doing a dang good job for being barely 21, a single mom, while going to school and working. I wanted to make the best life I could for Jaxson. Although I was doing just fine on my own, I wanted to be loved by someone and I wanted that someone to love Jaxson even more. I wanted someone to just stay instead of turning around and running when I tell them that I have a little boy. 

Like I said above, I was ready to leave Utah and start fresh. One day, this really REALLY cute boy & I started talking. His name? Kaden Kulland. We hit it off instantly. People say that love at first sight isn't real, but they are WRONG. I fell in love with Kaden immediately. I could talk to him about anything. I told him everything about my life. Then came the time to tell Kaden the one thing that I always was scared to say. (Not that I was embarrassed about being a mother, but the thought of him turning around and running always occurred in my mind.) So, there I was sitting there twiddling my thumbs before I could send that little text "I'm a mom". I hit send and then toss the phone across the room scared of what the reply would be. I hear my phone buzz as I slowly walk over to pick it up. Kaden replied with, "I already knew, when can I meet him?" 

Let's just say I was for sure in that "Can't Eat, Can't Sleep, Reach for the Stars, Over the Fence, World Series" kind of LOVE with Kaden. The next day Kaden picked me up from School and said let's go get Jaxson. I was so so nervous but not hesitant at all about letting them meet. We pull up to his daycare and there it was... The instant bonding between Kaden & Jaxson.

 A month or so goes by and out of nowhere Jaxson decided that Kaden's new name was "Daddy". I swear I didn't teach him and neither did Kaden. We were still just dating & seeing where things went. But, Kaden liked it and so did I. We never stopped him and never got scared about splitting up. We both wanted each other forever and it was well known. 

More months went by & we were finally married. We were a family, but one little thing was missing... Jaxson NEEDED to be a Kulland. We contacted an attorney, who had then told us what our requirements were for us to start the process of Kaden adopting Jaxson. It wasn't going to be easy, but we were determined to get it done. It was our biggest goal. We were GOING TO succeed. 

I'm not going to get into detail about all of the little odds and ends of the adoption, but I will tell you this. It was such a HARD hard process. Lots and lots of prayers were said and tears were shed just trying to get through it all. So much paperwork and forms to be filled out. Lots of money was put towards this. If you were around myself during this time, you knew how much of a roller coaster this process was for us. There were amazing times and amazing news, but then again there was the bad news and the crappy times. 

Finally, we got the call... The process was just about over with. We had gone through months and months and even more months of this process and it was finally coming to an end. We had the court date scheduled for the Judge to HOPEFULLY sign off on the adoption so we could finally be done with this whole situation. 

October 28, 2014: The BIG day!

We walked into that little court room with a bunch of other cases. We were supposed to be very first, but the Judge asked us if we could hold off until the end. I was very calm with him asking, but anxious for it to just begin & end. It felt like FOREVER listening to all the other cases just drag on. Finally, it was our turn. He called both Kaden, Jaxson & myself to the stand. Before he started with our case he said, "Sorry for making you wait, but I like to save the best for last so I can end my day happy". It calmed every little nervous emotion I had instantly. He asked us questions, asked us our stories, etc... All the little details that have been going on for the last year or so. 

As it was coming to a closing, there it was... those words that I have been waiting for since the moment I met Kaden. "Jaxson is now officially Jaxson Kulland" I cried and cried. Not that I was upset, but I was FINALLY... FINALLY able to breath and know that it was DONE. I walked back to mine & Kaden's family just in tears. I can honestly tell you right here and now. I was and still am the HAPPIEST girl in the ENTIRE world.

My story is like a fairytale to me. I never thought I would actually find someone that would complete mine & Jaxson's life. Kaden is perfect and it takes a special kind of person to be able to do what he did for us. I can't begin to tell you how blessed I feel that God sent me such an amazing husband and little boy that I can spend the rest of my life with. I know that throughout this whole entire process, the Lord was right there with us all and keeping us all strong.

For those of you that know me well, you know how amazing this story is for me. I wanted to share with all of you and that is a BIG step for me. So, now that I'm finished... Let me just go wipe my tears. I can finally breath... We are finally a FAMILY.

Hope you enjoy! 








1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the courts made official what was already a beautiful family. There was never a question that Kaden was meant to be Jax's dad, I'm just glad its legal on paper now. ;)

    ReplyDelete